This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Buckwheat Upma

This recipe is a twist on the Dalia Upma that I make very frequently at home. Recently my cousin suggested that I swap dalia for Buckwheat groats.
Besides being gluten free, Buckwheat is  full of Vitamin B complex, fibre and is highly anti-inflammatory making it great for people with arthritis. It's also a very good source of protein and has been proven to help reduce LDL (the bad cholestrol) and increase HDL levels (the good kind).

Toasted Buckwheat
Raw Buckwheat 
I prepare buckwheat the same way you make dalia - toast it in ghee for few minutes and then add water and let it cook for a 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye out when it's cooking because if you let it be on the stove for too long it becomes mushy very quickly. You can also get toasted buckwheat groats - buy these if you want to save sometime in the morning.

The recipe in itself is pretty simple can be made under twenty minutes for a healthy lunch option:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of cooked Buckwheat groats/dalia
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp jeera (cumin)
  • Lots of chopped curry patta . 
  • 1 medium chopped onion , 
  • 2-3 chopped tomatoes 
  • 1 chopped Bell pepper ( I add whichever ones I have on hand)
  • one chopped green chilly and 
  • 1 tbsp Ghee/Oil
Process:
  • Heat coconut oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds and jeera followed by fresh curry patta
  • Now add all the veggies in one go - and let them cook uncovered for a few minutes
  • I like it the veggies crunchy so I make it a point to not overcook them
  • Finish with salt and pepper



No comments: