This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Mung Sprouts & Cabbage Poriyal

All this time the only way I knew how to eat mung sprouts was to mix them in salads - my go to summer salad was mung sprouts mixed with watermelon and few other ingredients. But Eating sprouts in winter has always been a challenge for me and this warm cabbage poriyal is a great way to add mung to your winter meals.

Mung sprouts are a great source of Vitamin C, folate, iron and Vit B complex. They are a good source of protein and fibre too. 

Serves 2
Ingredients
  • 1.5 cup cabbage - finely chopped 
  • 1 cup mung sprouts
  • 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut (I used dried grated coconut)
  • 2-3 tbsp Lime juice
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Tempering Ingredients
  • 2tbsp Sesame Oil or Coconut Oil 
  • 1 pinch heeng / asfoedita
  • 10-12 springs fresh curry leaves
  • 1tbsp urad dal (split)
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1tbsp green chillies - chopped
  •  1 tsp green chillies - chopped
  • 2 tsp ginger - minced


Method:
  • Heat oil in the kadhai and add heeng and mustard seeds first.
  • Then add the minced ginger, curry leaves, urad dal and green chillies - let them all sizzle for a few seconds
  • Now add the cabbage. Toss and stir fry for 3-5 mins. ( I did not have enough green cabbage so I added some purple one too)
  • Add salt and pepper
  • Mix well and add the coconut.
  • Take off the stove - add sprouts and lime juice 
  • Serve warm or at room temperature


No comments: