This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Spinach & Mung Daal Idli

This was my first attempt at making idlis - although I love them a lot, I have never tried making them. In fact no one in my house has ever made them - which should tell you that I am the best cook in my family in generations;)

Anyhow, coming to the recipe  - instead of going with the good old rice idli, I found this spinach dal recipe by Tarla Dalal which sounded really cool and easy to make plus I loved the healthy ingredients.
Makes - 12 idlis
Ingredients
1/2 cup yellow mung dal  - soaked for 3 hours and drained
3/4 cup blanched and roughly chopped spinach
1-2 green chillies, roughly chopped
2 tbsp yogurt
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Eno/Fruit Salt 
1/4 tsp oil for greasing

Method
  1. Combine the yellow moong dal, spinach and green chillies and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste without using any water.
  2. Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add the yogurt and salt and mix well.
  3. Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the batter and pour 2 tsp water over it - Mix well as soon as the bubbles form.
  4. Grease the idli moulds using oil, put spoonfuls of the batter into idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
  5. Cool slightly, serve immediately with sambhar or chutney.

I love this Tomato-Peanut chutney with it:

Burmese Tomato Chuney

Recipe From Health Food Desi Videshi

This is a super simple and super tasty chutney
  • Chop 3 large tomatoes
  • Chop 1-2 green chillies
  • Chop a handful of cilantro leaves
  • 1/4th cup of roasted peanuts (Or dry roast raw peanuts on the stove)
  • Lightly fry 2-3 whole garlic gloves in 1 tbsp of mustard oil
  • Salt 
Put everything together in a blender and make a coarse paste.
Can add cut onions for topping when serving







No comments: