This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Millet & Broccolini Salad

This is one of the few non-raw meals which I make pretty often for lunch. I love the idea of incorporating different varieties of grains in our diet especially with the wheat heavy Indian diet that most of us are used to. Millet can sometimes feel a bit dry - so I try and take it off the stove when it's still a little moist.


Here are some of the Benefits of Millet:
  • Gluten free
  • Alkaline in nature - thus help balance the pH levels
  • Good source of fibre
  • Low Glycemic index than wheat and rice
  • High in protein - 1 cup cooked contains about 12-15% of your daily protein intake
  • Niacin (Vit-B3) in millet can help lower cholesterol and helps in reducing triglycerides.
  • It acts as a prebiotic - thus help feed the microflora (the good bacteria) in your system
  • Only CON: Potential Goitrogen - People with thyroid problems should take millet in moderation because it contains goitrogens that might suppress thyroid activity. Unlike cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower where cooking reduces the goitrogen levels, millet's goitrogen levels infact increase when cooked.

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups dry millet (I use Pearl Millet - pictured above)
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 bunches of broccolini or baby broccoli
  • handful of pitted kalamata olives - chopped
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley or cilantro
  • handful of pine nuts + more to garnish

Vinaigrette:
  • 4 T fresh pesto (recipe below)
  • 4 T balsamic vinegar
  • serious pinch of sea salt
METHOD:
  • Dry toast millet in a saucepan for a few minutes until nutty and brown. (If in a hurry, I skip this step and directly boil it)
  • Add water and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to a simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes. 
  • Roughly chop the broccolini, pour some coconut oil, sprinkle with a couple pinches of sea salt and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until crispy. (Can totally do this in skillet)
  • Mix the cooked millet, roasted broccolini, kalamata olives and parsley in a bowl
  • Combine the dressing ingredients and mix well and add it to the millet mixture
  • Add more salt to taste.
  • Garnish with pine nuts

Pesto Recipe
  • 3 cups fresh basil, sans stems
  • 1/2 cup olive oil (I use much less oil- and add it progressively to get the right consistency)
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts
  • 4 small/medium cloves of garlic
  • sea salt
the how: throw it all in a food processor and blend. Add salt to taste

Recipe Source: A house in the hills

    I garnished this with a boiled egg

    2 comments:

    Sovina said...

    i have cooked this recipe twice and everytime it tastes yum! first time, I followed exactly as written. then today, i didn't have enough broccoli, so I chopped handful of spinach leaves and added to it. I also had butternut squash at home that I add to everything these days, so I added that as well. All of them mixed well together and the taste was great. I think this is a great dish that can be made with any ingredients at home. We ate it with a side of green salad.

    Unknown said...

    Awesome suggestion - I will try adding spinach next time:)