This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Squash & Kale Salad

This winter, I have been on a squash roll - I have used them in so many new recipes and have loved every one of it. This is another squash salad recipe which turned out to be really yummy. This salad uses Kale - previously whenever I added kale to a salad - I massaged it with oil to make it soft and less chewy. This recipe however asked to cook kale for a bit which honestly I was skeptical about as I really don't like cooking my greens - but here they needed to be on the pan for just about a minute and turned out to be much less work than having to massage them.
Btw, here is an image identifying different kinds of squash available:



INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 small Acorn Sqash
  • 1 large bunch Lacinato Kale
  • 1/3 cup Hazelnuts
  • 1/3 cup tahini
  • 1/3 cup white miso
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 big garlic clove - crushed
  • 1 small shallot - minced
  • 1juice of lemon
  • Coconut Oil
  • Salt & Pepper

Notes:
  1. The recipe used Red Kuri squash but I had Acorn squash at home and used that.
  2. Also, I didn't have any shallots so I skipped that.
  3. This is the Miso brand I use,

PROCESS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Cut the squash - remove all the seeds and strings - slice the squash in small half moons, sprinkle a bit of oil, salt and pepper over it and roast it for about 25 mins in the oven or until its soft.
  3. Make the dressing by combining Tahini+Miso+garlic+shallot +lime juice+salt+pepper. Add additional water to create a smooth creamy consistency (a couple of tablespoons)
  4. Wash the kale and remove the stems and roughly tear the leaves into smaller pieces.
  5. Put a little bit of coconut oil in a pan and cook kale for a couple of mins till its wilted - I cooked kale in two separate batches in my cast iron pan -they cooked faster that way as they had enough room.
  6. Put the hazelnuts in small pan over medium heat and cook till they are lightly brown and fragrant - then chop them into smaller pieces.
  7. Serve: Put cooked kale, top it with roasted squash, cranberries, hazelnuts and drizzle the dressing.


This is by far the best pic, I have taken for the blog so far!!

 
Recipe Source: A house in the hills



No comments: