This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Zucchini Pasta with Roasted Pumpkin Sauce

Let me begin by saying that I have been a lifelong hater of pumpkin, I tried the typical Indian veggie version of it as a kid and immediately disliked it and have not had it ever since. However, off late I have been exploring new ways to eat pumpkin/squash - there are so many great recipes out there. The first one I tried was this and I absolutely loved it. I have eaten Zucchini noodles with summer veggies but adding the pumpkin sauce makes it perfect for winters. A word of caution - do not make this recipe expecting it to taste like your regular pasta - it will not - the flavors are rich but still will need some getting used to (or maybe it's just my pumpkin fear that's coming out)

To make noodles out of veggies, I use this simple spiralizer and it works great for me. I am planning to graduate to this one soon - which will work better, if you are cooking larger quantities or have the storage space for it.  

Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
  • 4 large zucchini
Pumpkin Sauce
  • 1 sugar pumpkin - roasted then pureed
  • 1 medium green apple (swapped it with lime juice)
  • ½ cup fresh sage - chopped
  • 1 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp roasted pumpkin seed oil (can skip it - I didn't have any)
  • Juice of 1-2 oranges
  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon (using some for baking)
  • pinch of turmeric
  • black pepper
  • sea salt to taste
  • Garnish: roasted pumpkin seeds, dash of cinnamon, fresh black pepper, roasted pumpkin seed oil (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Slice the sugar pumpkin in half, placing the flesh side up. Sprinkle little bit of cinnamon powder. 
  3. Bake the pumpkin on a well greased baking sheet for 45 minutes or until tender. 
  4. Scoop out the pumpkin from it's skin, puree the pumpkin with all remaining sauce ingredients.
  5. Adjust seasonings to taste - I had to add more lime juice
  6.  Transfer the pumpkin puree into a pot on the stovetop to heat through again. 
  7. Make Zucchini noodles and serve with pumpkin sauce on top and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and black pepper. 
NOTES:
  • I had leftover sauce, which made for a yummy evening soup the next day - just added little bit of more water and heated it.
  • Since the size of pumpkins vary a lot - the seasonings will require some major adjustments. I had to add at least juice of 1 lime to make it work for my palette. 
Recipe Source: Nutrition Stripped