This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Masala Roasted Veggie Roll

This is a yummy recipe for lunch or dinner and works really well for the Indian palette. These days, I find roasting veggies in the oven a lot easier and hassle free than sautéing them on the stove. Although that was not always the case - For some reason I always found using an oven a bit cumbersome especially when I needed to bake/roast in small quantities. One reason could be that in India we never used ovens and are pretty much alien to the concept and the other and more likely reason could be that I have stuffed my oven with all sorts of pans and griddles which are a real hassle to take out for a simple task like this. Anyhow my solution to the problem was to replace my old toaster with a small over the counter OTG that I use pretty much everyday for simple easy baking and roasting and use the big oven only larger quantities or baking desserts. 
Serves: 3-4
Ingredients
  • Filling
  • ½ cup diced red onion
  • 1 cup diced red pepper
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1½ cup diced zucchini
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp each of haldi (turmeric), jeera (cumin) and dhaniya (coriander) powder
  • 1/4th tsp garam masala
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup chickpeas - boiled
  • Avocado
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 tbsp cilantro
  • Juice from half lime
  • Rolls
  • 3-4 whole wheat roti or pita bread
  • Cilantro, for serving
  • Lime juice, for serving
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400˚. In a roasting pan, toss together onion, pepper, tomatoes, zucchini, chickpeas, olive oil and all the masalas. Roast for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender. (NB:It took me a total of 15 minutes - I didn't want my veggies to be overcooked and mushy)
  2. While vegetables are roasting, in a small bowl mash together avocado, cilantro, and lime juice.
  3. Once vegetables are done, assemble the rolls by smearing avocado on the inside and a few spoonfuls of roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with cilantro and squeeze a bit of lime juice over filling (if needed). Roll up and eat!
Recipe Source: Naturally Ella

No comments: