This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Steamed Dal Dumplings

These dal dumplings make a healthy snack as they don't involve any frying - we even eat it at times for lunch. I use my idli mould to make them - it makes good sized portions and are easy to steam. I usually serve them with the tomato garlic chutney (the cooked version). They are called bhapouri in Hindi and are apparently a very common household snack in a few regions - I had personally not heard of them until I came across this recipe:
Ingredients:
Should make about 4-5 snack portions for 2 people
For the Paste:
  • 1 cup Dhuli Masoor (soaked overnight or a min of 4 hours)
  • 2 Tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 inch ginger - minced/grated
  • 3 garlic cloves (use more if they are small in size like in India)
  • 1-2 dry whole red chillies as per taste
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
Add to the Dal Paste:
  • 1 cup onions -diced
  • handful of chopped cilantro leaves

Process:
  • Blend all the first six ingredients in the food processor to make a thick paste - I don't usually add any water - but if you feel the need then add few tbsp of water. Keep the paste slightly coarse.
  • Add the chopped onions and cilatro to the dal mixture.
  • Fill the idli maker with the paste and steam for about 10 minutes on medium flame - the cooked dumplings look dull yellow in color - test if fully cooked by sticking a toothpick in it - if it comes out clean then the batch is done.
  • You could also store the extra paste in the fridge and make a fresh batch anytime you want in about half the time.
  • The dumplings themselves stay well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
  • You could try making these with some other dals as well - I haven't tried it yet- let me know if any of you tries any other dal.

No comments: