This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Lentil Walnut Salad

I love this salad and the addition of lentils gives it a nice desi twist. I can't remember where I got the recipe from, but I have been using it for a while. I use sabut masoor (orange one) for this salad but you could try it with any other type of whole lentils like maybe urad. And if you are worried about eating raw spinach, then here is some information that might help.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cups uncooked brown lentils - (preferably soaked overnight or for 4 hours)
  • ¼ cup sliced green onions - green part only
  • 1 cup packed thinly sliced baby spinach
  • ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 10-12 kalamata olives - chopped
  • ¼ cup chopped walnuts
Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon plain yellow mustard or Dijon (I use this brand and besides being organic, I like that it comes in a glass jar)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • Salt and Pepper

Process:

  • First cook the lentils in a pressure cooker - these days I have started to soak all my dals - anywhere b/w 30 mins to overnight - depending on the dal and the amount of time I have. This not only reduces the cook time but also helps me stick to the 'cooking on low heat' principle so as to preserve maximum nutrients.
  • In a mixing bowl, combine the lentils, spinach, green onions tomatoes and olives.
  • Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients in a jar or bowl - You must add rosemary to the salad as it adds a distinct flavor.
  • Pour it over the salad mix and serve:)



3 comments:

Sovina said...

don't you have to boil the lentils?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oh yes, I forgot- updated the process - thanks:)