This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Spinach Berry Salad


We have gotten into the habit of eating as much seasonal produce as we can - so these days its all about cherry tomatoes, peaches, plums, corn and berries etc. Besides having them independently, I love the idea of adding them to our regular meals. So a berry spinach salad is right up my alley - quick to assemble and delicious in taste. This is one of the salads that doesn't require much chopping except the strawberries so its something that you can easily make in the mornings. Give it a try and let me know how it turned out:

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup cooked Quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked)
  • 4-5 handfuls of spinach
  • 1 handful of strawberries
  • 1 big handful of blueberries
  • 1/4 cup almonds- slivered
  • 1/2 avocado - chopped (optional)
Dressing
  • 1/4 cup lime juice 
  • 2 tsp mustard sauce
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp maple syrup/honey
  • salt and pepper
NOTES:
- I use regular yellow mustard sauce - you might have to change the quantity depending on how spicy your mustard sauce is.
- You can replace apple cider vinegar with rice vinegar
- Honey/maple/agave syrup either can be used based on availability. I almost always add honey simply because I love it's taste (and I get to lick the spoon afterwards:)

PROCESS:
  1. Cook the Quinoa. I usually put twice the amount of water and cook it in a pan.
  2. Wash the spinach and berries. Chop the strawberries and put them in a mixing bowl
  3. Add the chopped avocado if using
  4. Mix the dressing ingredients separately in a bowl and drizzle them over the salad
  5. Garnish with almonds and you are done!!


No comments: