This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Grilled Corn & Pepper Salad

 This is a perfect summer salad that you can have for lunch or as dinner on a warm evening. I made it for lunch last week and and was planning to skip the grilling part of it as I don't own a grill but I am glad I did not. I used my oven to grill the vegetables - which was essentially roasting them but I still liked the corn and peppers better this way compared to adding them raw (at least in this recipe). The salad is topped with a delicious sweet and savory chili lime dressing that brings out the flavors of all the vegetables:

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2-3 handfuls of Arugula
1 large red pepper - deseeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small onion - sliced length wise
1-2 corn cobs -
1 cup of black beans (Rajma) - soaked overnight & boiled
1 avocado - chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro - chopped
Fresh goat cheese
Corn chips - garnish
Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (might need more)
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1-2 tsp honey or agave nectar
1/2 tsp salt

NOTES:
- This time I had not soaked the black beans well in time so could not add them - but I added some cooked black rice which I had in the fridge - they brought some extra texture to the dish.
- Maybe next time - I will try adding the corn without grilling them

PROCESS:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F and put it on broil.
  2. Put some olive oil on the chopped peppers, sliced onions and the whole corn cobs ( I just use my hand to mix in the oil) - sprinkle some salt and pepper. Place the veggies on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven. Roast/grill the veggies till they are bit charred - takes anywhere between 15-20 mis.
  3. Dressing: Whisk in all the ingredients in a small bowl. I had to add in more lime juice later once I mixed the dressing in the salad. So you might have to adjust the lime juice, chili flakes, salt etc to your preference.
  4. Once the veggies are done - slice the corn put it in a big bowl along with the onion, peppers and the arugula. Add in the chopped avocado, beans. 
  5. Drizzle the dressing
  6. Garnish with cilantro, goat cheese and corn chips - crushed into pieces. 



No comments: