This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Cherry Crostini

The cherry season is almost over here in the bay area but we are far from done with them. I found some very good ones from Oregon selling at my local store and I got home a big bag. I am mostly not in favor of cooking with fruits primarily because it feels like you are killing their awesome natural texture and juices.
But a few days back, when I caught a glimpse of this crostini on the pages of a magazine (Bon appetit to be exact), I was literally drooling - so much so that I made it that same evening. It's a pretty simple dish which would work as an awesome appetizer, we however had it for dinner.
INGREDIENTS:
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups cherries - pitted and halved
baguette slices
fresh goat cheese
Coarse salt
fresh black pepper

NOTES:
- Buy the best quality goat cheese you can find and account for its salt content. Mine had no salt added.
- I did pit the cherries first, using the flat end of a chopstick. (It's not as hard or time consuming as it sounds).However, I later on realized that I could have simply cut the cherries in half and then thrown the pit. Try both options and see which one works best for you.

PROCESS:
  1. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet or a heavy bottom pan - keep the flame high
  2. Add cherries and cook them for about 5 minutes- stir frequently. The cherries should turn soft but not falling apart.
  3. Sprinkle the salt and pepper
  4. Smear goat cheese on baguette slices - top with a spoonful of cherries.




No comments: