This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Yoga - Videos I love


I don't know about any of you but my mind is a wild horse. There is is no knowing where it's gonna leap the next second. At any given point in day - I am juggling between focussing on the task on hand and the web of thoughts in my brain. It's such a struggle to solely focus on one thing at a time and the current digitalized culture isn't really helping the cause.  There are days in a row when I am totally on auto pilot mode - without actually taking a second to breathe or enjoy the surroundings and did I mention I don't have a regular 9-5 gig or any children. I can't even begin to imagine the chaos a working mom faces.

The only saving grace is that I am aware of this and recognize it as a serious hinderance to my emotional and overall well being. As part of my customary new year resolution - I decided to work towards being more present in the moment. I am slowly trying to coordinate by body and brain to function in sync - by actually paying attention to what I am doing especially even if its the everyday somewhat mundane chores.

One big change I have made in the past few weeks is my decision to use one gadget at at time. It might not seem like a big issue to many out there - but having the Television on in the background while working on my laptop with one eye on my iphone is (or was) a pretty common scenario in my house. And the icing on the cake is that I suck at multi-tasking(another concept I seriously believe is a product of this new hyper active digital revolution) - what that essentially means is that it used to take me double the time to answer a simple email as my teeny little brain couldn't compartmentalize. So now its either phone or computer and never both.

However, the thing that helps me the most in this effort is Yoga - which is what I wanted to talk about in the first place (excuse the long background story). I have been fairly regular at doing yoga for the past 2 years. And all I can say is that I have found my true bliss - when I am on the mat, focussing all my energy on my breath - tensions and worries of life just seem to melt away. It's way harder than I make it sound - I have to constantly remind my wandering mind to get back to it. But despite all that Yoga is the only thing that realigns me physically and spiritually - it's the one thing I turn to whenever I need to get some perspective in life. That being said, I think the only reason I stuck around to fall in love with this practice was because of this teacher I found near my house. I had tried my hand at yoga a couple of times before but could never really follow it on a long term basis and I think it was partially because I could not find a teacher that I truly admired.

These days I dont go to my yoga studio very often and try to practice more at home. Over the past few months I have discovered a few very good online sessions that I really like . So I thought I would share some of my favorites links that help me stay on track:

Breathing and relaxation focussed - Great for beginners and for anyone who wants to relax and loosen up a little



  1. stlpl.co/1EpnEM8 
  2. stlpl.co/1H9pHpR 
  3. stlpl.co/1D6W16t 
  4. stlpl.co/15Mk7IJ 
Yoga with Adrienne: A good instructor who paces her class well to help you grasp the fundamentals.
Intermediate Level: Involves some serious poses
  1. Do Yoga with me: I like this site, they have lots of teachers offering free lessons in different variations and at diff levels of yoga. The instructor that I follow the most is Tracey Noseworthy.
  2. Yoga with Dagmar: She is another great instructor whose lessons I have followed for a long time. She has a couple of videos on you tube - One, Two, Three
  3. 10 Minutes Pilates Solution: I have tried a couple of DVD's with this instructor 'Lara Hudson' and they are again a pretty good place to start. You can probably find them on Netflix too.
These are the links of a few meditation sounds that I play in the background:
If you guys have any other online instructors or sites that you love, please share in the comments. 


No comments: