This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Crunchy Apple Celery & Sweet Potato Salad




This salad recipe was something I saw in a magazine a while back. Although I had written it down, I was a bit doubtful about trying it out primarily because it said to use raw sweet potato. I mean I love sweet potatoes but eating them raw was not very appealing. Anyhow, I made the salad yesterday all the while thinking of a back-up lunch option. Let me just say that not only are you going to love this salad, you will want to make it again and again. It was that good. It was crunchy, savory with a hint of sweetness.

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 small sweet potato - peeled and finely julienned
  • 1 apple (preferably green apple) - finely julienned
  • 1 stalk celery- thinly sliced
  • 2 scallions (green onions) - finely chopped
  • 2-3 red radish - finely julienned
  • 3-4 tbsp Sesame seeds - toasted
  • 1/4th cup cilantro leaves - chopped
Dressing
  • 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
NOTES:
  • It's crucial to julienne the all the fruits & veggies because that's what creates the crunch. I tried using the shredder attachment of my food processor but they were coming out too small and slightly mushy.
  • I used half a sweet potato - as mine was too big in size
  • Green apple would work best here because it's tart and adds to the flavor.
PROCESS:
  1. Start by cutting the all the veggies and fruits in a big bowl (Sweet potato+apple_+celery+radishes+scallions) - cut them as fine as you can- this is what's gonna take time - but it adds to the crunchiness. 
  2. Put the sesame seeds on a pan toast them on low heat till they are fragrant.
  3. Mix all the dressing ingredients (ginger+limejuice+olive oil+ salt &pepper) in a bowl.
  4. Add the dressing to the veggie mix
  5. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro
  6. Enjoy

No comments: