This blog is my collection of healthy recipes and other health and nutrition related information from all over the web. This is just my way of sharing all the healing goodness with my family and friends.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pear and Apple Crumble




This was my first time making a crumble - I had seen lots of crumble recipes with a variety of fruits floating around the web but somehow they never caught my attention. And man am I kicking myself for not trying this out earlier. A fruit crumble like this one serves as a perfect weekend b'fast and the leftovers can help you satisfy your sweet cravings during the week. The recipe might look a bit elaborate but trust me its hard to mess this one up. I overcooked my oat flakes a bit much but they still tasted pretty good.

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pear
  • 1 apple
  • 2-3 tbsp raisins 
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp ginger -minced
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1-2 pinch cinnamon - ground
  • 1-2 pinch nutmeg - ground
  • 1-2 tbsp lime juice
CRUMBLE

  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup pistachios - ground
  • 4-5 fresh dates - pitted and chopped
  • 2-3 tbsp coconut oil - melted
  • 1-2 pinch cinnamon - ground
  • 1-2 pinch nutmeg - ground
  • 1 pinch of salt
NOTES:
The recipe I looked at was for a bigger batch - so the measurements here are my best approximation from that.

PROCESS:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375F
  2. Take a cast iron skillet or any oven proof pan - put all all of the chopped fruits and seasonings (except the crumble ingredients) in the pan - mix well to combine
  3. Cook this mixture for about 10 mins - till your fruits are tender
  4. Grind pistachios into flour - I used my coffee grinder for this
  5. Combine all the crumble ingredients in a bowl - mix it all well 
  6. Spread the crumble toppings evenly over the fruit mixture in the cast iron skillet.
  7. Bake at 375F for 30-40 mins. Check it at 20 mins and take it out once the crust os golden brown (I baked mine for a bit too long and it turned into a darker brown color)
  8. Take it out and let it cool for at least 15 mins - this allows the crumble topping to get nice and crunchy.
  9. Enjoy it with a cup of hot tea
  10. The leftovers stay good for 5-7 days in the fridge.





No comments: